Interact with science and nature through the exploration of our exhibits, covering everything from careers in STEM to the wonders of space! Add on one of our many educational programs to take your visit to the next level.
What Your Field Trip Can Include!
Our full-dome planetarium transports visitors across space and time in a variety of amazing adventures. Voyage to the furthest reaches of our galaxy to examine black holes, stars, and planets; travel back in time to investigate ancient civilizations, or visit the deepest parts of our oceans and explore an active coral reef!
Science Live! Demo
Science Live! explores the wild world of science through interactive shows guaranteed to wow audiences of all ages. Through captivating experiments and audience participation, Science Live! creates a one-of-a-kind learning experience! See LIVE options HERE
Messy, slimy, oozy, electrifying, glowing fun! DHDC Science Labs feature hands-on, engaging activities for students in grades Pre-K through 12 addressing a variety of science, math, and engineering concepts. See Science Lab options HERE
Explore over 8,000 square feet of hands-on, fun, and interactive learning opportunities from both national and international touring exhibits and select permanent exhibits from the DHDC collection. Exhibits change throughout the year providing visitors new discoveries every visit!
Request a Field Trip HERE
- *FOR FIELD TRIPS ON THE DATES BELOW PLEASE SEE OUR SPECIAL EDUCATION EVENTS PAGE. We will not be hosting regular field trips on these days.
- DECEMBER 7-9, 13-15
- MAY 9-12
- Field trip dates book quickly, especially during peak times such as the months of October, April, & May. BOOK EARLY FOR AVAILABILITY!
- Please make sure reservation requests are submitted ahead of reservation deadlines.
- Reservations are booked using Central Standard Time. For guests in the Mountain Time zone, please adjust your reservation request times accordingly.
Admission & Chaperones
- The DHDC requests a minimum of a 1:15 chaperone to student ratio for field trip visits.
- Education Partner Districts: All chaperones and siblings may enter DHDC at no charge.
- Non-Partner Districts: Additional chaperones for Non-Partner schools above the 1:15 ratio for DHDC visits pay a $2 per person admission fee. Siblings of field trip participants (ages 3 and up) pay a $2 per person admission fee. Siblings of field trip participants may participate in all field trip activities excluding hands-on Science Labs.
Before You Visit
- Please have students remain on the bus while one member of your group makes their way to the front desk to check in. One of our Education Team members will board the bus to welcome you and your students to the Discovery Center and assist with getting you to your first rotation.
- Your Guide Is…
- One of our friendly team members will be your “tour guide” during your visit. He or she will be available to answer your questions and assist with rotating your groups through their activities during your visit.
- Running Behind
- We understand! Bus schedules and traffic can be unpredictable. If your group is running behind and will miss your scheduled arrival time, please contact us at 806-355-9547 so we can update your visit schedule. We will make every effort to ensure you are still able to enjoy all your scheduled activities.
- Note on Payment
- WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYMENT USING CHANGE OR ONE-DOLLAR BILLS Please exchange all coins and dollar bills for larger currency BEFORE arriving at the DHDC as we cannot accept payment for school visits in one-dollar bills and/or change.
Day of Scheduling
- We are happy to provide lunch space for school groups free of charge. Advance reservations are required and space is limited, so please notify us when you make your reservation that you would like a lunch space. In cases of unexpected inclement weather, we will do our best to provide your group lunchroom space upon request.
- Divide and Conquer
- Please make sure to divide your students into equal groups for your rotations. Your confirmation form will indicate the number of groups in which to divide your students. Rotations that include science labs will require groups of no more than 30 students each.
- Schedule Adjustments
- Your DHDC Confirmation Form will include a tentative schedule for your visit, but please note your rotation schedule is not finalized until your arrival at DHDC. You will receive a final copy of your rotation schedule upon arrival. Rest assured that any schedule changes will not affect your selected activities or delay your requested departure time.
Thank you for choosing the Discovery Center for your field trip!
We are excited to work with your students and provide an exciting learning experience.
Discovery Center staff are not responsible for the supervision or behavior management of any child or student during field trips. Teachers and group leaders are responsible for all supervision and the enforcement of the following expectations:
- Students, chaperones, and group leaders must be mindful and respectful of other groups and guests using our facilities.
- Students over 6 years of age are not permitted into the Kinder Studio area.
- Students, chaperones, and group leaders must treat staff respectfully and professionally.
- Students should not run at any time while inside the Discovery Center building.
- Teachers and Group Leaders must be present and actively supervise during all education programs (Science labs, Science Live! Demos, Space Theater programs. etc.)
- Exhibit pieces and all other Discovery Center property should not be damaged, misused, or stolen by any guest.
- Animals and animal enclosures should be interacted with appropriately. Enclosures should not be shaken, tapped on, hit, or treated disrespectfully in any way.
DHDC Staff will remove any student from a Science Live!, science lab, or space theater program if these expectations are not met and student behavior becomes a disruption to the learning of others.
When your group follows these expectations, they help the Discovery Center provide the best possible educational experience for all students, teachers, and guests, and they help ensure that guests can enjoy Discovery Center property in the future.
Thank you again for choosing the Discovery Center! Happy discovering!